Wednesday, October 21, 2009

About The Dropout

Hello there!

Welcome to Gym Bag Dropout.

The Background

When I was young (18 and under) I never struggled with my weight. I had poor body image but I was not overweight by any stretch. As a competitive softball player, I stayed active and ate whatever I pleased, whenever I pleased. I think this is where my problem got started.

After I quit playing softball, I kept eating the way I always did. Praise the Lord I had an AMAZING metabolism and didn't gain a pound.

...that is, until the first semester of my freshman year. I am pretty sure I gained it the day I registered for classes.

Life has never been easy so between emotional eating and the bad habits I had already established I quickly went from 135 lbs (at 5'2" and VERY muscular - 6 pack and all!) to 160 lbs.

Then, to the surprise of my dad, who (in a very loving way, believe me) told me if I didn't lose weight that I'd never find a husband...I got engaged. After that I threw all caution to the wind and ballooned to over 200 lbs.

Don't get me wrong...I didn't over eat so much as I ate the wrong stuff. I consider potatoes more of a vegetable than broccoli - what the heck is broccoli anyway?

A couple of years ago I decided that enough was enough. I gritted my teeth and attempted to lose the weight.

It wouldn't come off!

I tried EVERYTHING and I couldn't even lose a pound! About that time a wild little one year old blessed us with his presence in our lives and we began a custody/adoption process. Long story short...I was so busy with that mess I couldn't even think about weight loss!

Fast forward three years to February 2009. I went for my first (yes, my first!) yearly "lady" check up and found out that I had PCOS which explained SO much!

So where am I now?

I'm trying to beat the havoc wreaked upon my body by the PCOS. I have the classic, no fun, symptoms. Weight gain, difficult weight loss, male patterned hair growth, acne. Tons o' fun.

Weight: 235 (down from 240 two weeks ago)
Diet: Doing Weight Watchers program solo
Workout: Shred by Jillian Michaels (KILLER!)
Weekly Bad Habit To Drop: NO MORE COKE

So Why 'Gym Bag Dropout"

I have just quit my Gold's Gym membership. I never went and, frankly, being over 230 lbs. I didn't feel exactly welcome among all the body builders and beauty queens. One thing I am especially thankful for - no more gym bags!

2 comments:

  1. Hi!
    I completely identfy with everything you are saying. I have had PCOS for 16 years now (I'm 29). At one point I was 270 lbs. I too have all of the awesome PCOS symptoms...ughh. I've lost 60 pounds and am working at getting the rest of the weight off...I agree that honoring God with our bodies is crucial and the most important thing. A little suggestion from someone who has had PCOS for a LONG time...take a look at the book, The Metabolism Miracle. It is an eating plan crafted by a dietician with PCOS and Diabetes. It's GREAT and really informative. Btw, my sister also has PCOS and with the help of glucophage, she gave birth to a healthy baby girl in June. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsey...
    Thank you SO much for your comment!! I will look up that book ASAP! Congratulations on your fantastic weight loss!! All of your hard work is paying off! I'm glad to have so found so many amazing women in the blogging world who are real and know what I'm going through!

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete